This is why most Web applications have to implement CRUD interfaces. PHP is definitely for the uninitiated.

Along the lines of CodeIgnitor, I would suggest using another framework Symfony. It's a very powerful, yet easy to learn framework, and it will autogenerate the CRUD for you. Really, some framework is probably the way to go for this, regardless of which you choose.

- David

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries on behalf of Ken Irwin
Sent: Wed 7/30/2008 6:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] what's friendlier & less powerful than phpMyAdmin?

Hi folks,

I have some straightforward MySQL data tables that I would like to be
editable by some of my less-techy colleagues. I tend to think of
phpMyAdmin as a perfectly serviceable and reasonably interface for
updating database tables, but I'm told that it's kind of intimidating to
the uninitiated.

Are there alternatives that are meant for non-admin-types? I'd want
something with read/write permissions, but that could be targeted at
just a few tables, wouldn't have any of the more potent tools (drop,
empty, etc.). In the ideal world, I might like something that would
prevent users from doing things like accidentally changing primary key
data and things like that.

I've thought about writing something, but I suspect that would be
reinventing the wheel. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ken

--