Dear Code4Libs
The University of Tasmania has about one third of its collection
classified by Dewey, and the other part by Library of Congress
classification.  We will be able to find an LC call number, either from a
call number on an added copy, or from the 050 tag in the bib record.  We
have found though that we have about 50,000 bib records with no added
copies with LC call#, and no 050 information.  About 10,000 of these bibs
do have 010 tags (LC #s), so one assumes that an LC call number would be
available for them should we be able to interrogate a database like
Libraries Australia or WorldCat and be able to find the information.

Trouble is, although we may be competent at SQL on our databases,
automatically "piping" information to an application and parsing results
is not something we've done.  This list seems to have some very savvy
people on it - can anyone suggest how we could proceed?  Could we use
something like Yaz with an input file of requests, and get an output file
with 050 information?  Has anyone done this already?  Is there an
electronic file available with a Dewey - LC conversion, which we could
use?  50,000 bibs is a lot for us to manually look up!

Any help you could give would be most appreciated

Di

-- Di Worth
-- Associate Librarian
-- Library     (Division of Teaching and Learning)
-- University of Tasmania
-- Hobart Campus
-- Private Bag 25
-- Hobart Tasmania 7001
-- phone: (03) 6226 2208  Intl  +61 3 6226 2208
-- fax:   (03) 6226 2878  Intl  +61 3 6226 2878
-- mobile: 0408 292 788  (internal x5557)
-- email: [log in to unmask]