I think the lawsuit you are talking about is the image linking suit, Perfect
10 v. Google. Information on this lawsuit can be found at:
http://www.eff.org/cases/perfect-10-v-google

I haven't read the decision, but the EFF says "While it leaves some
questions open, the bottom line is that the Court upheld important policies
of fair use and freedom online and resisted Perfect 10's plea to put
copyright owners completely in charge of how and when search engines and
other online intermediaries can provide their users with links to images."

Edward