Thanks, everyone, for your messages and support!  We'll definitely keep
the list posted about what's going on, when meetings are scheduled, etc.
     And please let me know if you're in the area and would like to
participate.

Jonathan, we were a little concerned, too, about repurposing a current
SIG to have a broader base, especially since it originated within a more
formal organization.  You are absolutely right that this could mean a
restriction on participation, and we didn't want that at all.  Although
METRO groups have no restriction on SIG attendance (no membership, fees,
etc.), we double-checked with their technology director just to be sure.
  He was enthusiastic about the idea and gave us the green light.  We
want to extend invitations as far as possible, and it seems like METRO
does, too.  (And they'll let us use their meeting space!)

But as the group evolves, we definitely want to be sure that everything
is open access -- that's why we liked Code4Lib in the first place.  So
we'll definitely work to make sure the group stays that way.

Thanks again!

Best,
Joanna