I know this is code4lib, not buystuff4lib, but the Google Mini is
reputed to be rather quick, bulletproof and configurable, and starts
at $3k. For example, it works nicely with lots of file formats
(including Office documents) out of the box. And works with LDAP and
NTLM for authentication and authorization.

I suspect it'll probably be challenging to deliver a quality search
solution for a lower total cost.

Of course, this all depends on what your intranet looks like on the
inside. I've seen 'intranet' mean a things that would call for wildly
different search solutions.

So... solr is great, but this question doesn't contain nearly enough
information to answer whether it's a good fit for your task at hand.

Cheers
-Nate