> I was very intrigued by some comments he made regarding the need for
> catalogers to have an "integrated development environment" similar to
> that which many programmers have. I completely agree with him, and I
> was wondering if anybody out there knows of any place or project that
> is working on creating such a tool.

My memory is horrible, so not surprisingly I did neglect to mention
some actual work that was going on in this area ;).  People who know
me know this has been a long standing complaint of mine, but I haven't
done much myself.

There's a couple of projects out there.

 One is called biblios (http://www.biblios.net/).  This was shown at
the code4lib 2008 conference:
http://code4lib.org/conference/2008/catalfo.  The google video seems
busted at the moment, but here's a link the IA:
http://www.archive.org/details/code4lib.conf.2008.pres.OSSWebbasedCatalogingTool.

At least, I'm pretty sure this was the app, the video seems to be down
right now.

Terry Reese also has been doing a lot of work on better cataloging
clients.  I haven't tried his MarcEdit anywhere near as much as I
should but a lot of the catalogers here are excited about it.  ....
http://oregonstate.edu/~reeset/marcedit/html/index.php

>  I'm interested in contributing to
> the development of better automated tools to support those who create
> and manage collections of metadata, and I have a 12-month sabbatical
> scheduled for 2009-2010. Since I don't currently have the programming
> knowledge or skills to tackle a software development project on my
> own, I'd love to get hooked up with an existing project.

You might also want to check out some of the videos of past code4lib
conferences.  Some of the xforms talks are quite interesting in this
regard.  It's a bit on the technical end, but it's work that could be
adopted elsewhere.

Hopefully some other folks can mention some more.

Jon Gorman