You might want to look at the OCLC Research Classify project:

<http://www.oclc.org/research/researchworks/classify/>

Classify is a prototype service designed to support the assignment of classification numbers for books, DVDs, CDs, and many other types of materials.  The latest prototype can be found here:

<http://deweyresearch.oclc.org/classify2/>

If you think classify fits your scenario, then you might want to contact Diane Vizine-Goetz (project lead) and discuss your project with her.  We did a special project with the Phoenix Public Library where they sent us their catalog records and we used the original Classify prototype to assign Dewey classes to records that didn't have any.  The details can be found in the following presentation Diane gave, slides 13 to 18:

<http://www.oclc.org/research/presentations/vizine-goetz/alao/alaor.ppt>

Andy.