Google Mini didn't facet when I used it (about a year ago). It is very
simple to setup, and required very little maintenance.

The Mini had some restrictions compared to the Google Appliance, if
these apply it would be worth looking at the differences - the Appliance
certainly was significantly more expensive than the Mini.

Overall I'd recommend the Mini if you want something cheap, very quick
to get going, with a brand that users will recognise and (generally)
trust, and you are happy to sacrifice some flexibility for these
features.

Owen

Owen Stephens
Assistant Director: eStrategy and Information Resources
Central Library
Imperial College London
South Kensington Campus
London
SW7 2AZ

t: +44 (0)20 7594 8829
e: [log in to unmask]
Of
> Tim Spalding
> Sent: 06 August 2008 05:08
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Solr for Internal Searching
>
> Does Google Mini facet? It seems to have a concept of collections, but
> does it facet by them?

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:05 AM, Bill Dueber <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > At UMich, we use space on a Google Appliance as our site search
> > (different setups for internal vs. public pages) and have been
pretty
> > happy. I've been able to abuse the "google ads" space to our benefit
> > -- e.g., go to http://lib.umich.edu/ and search "Web Pages" for
> "grad"
> > (get today's hours) or 'dueber' (find me).
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Nate Vack <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >> I know this is code4lib, not buystuff4lib, but the Google Mini is
> >> reputed to be rather quick, bulletproof and configurable, and
starts
> >> at $3k. For example, it works nicely with lots of file formats
> >> (including Office documents) out of the box. And works with LDAP
and
> >> NTLM for authentication and authorization.
> >>
> >> I suspect it'll probably be challenging to deliver a quality search
> >> solution for a lower total cost.
> >>
> >> Of course, this all depends on what your intranet looks like on the
> >> inside. I've seen 'intranet' mean a things that would call for
> wildly
> >> different search solutions.
> >>
> >> So... solr is great, but this question doesn't contain nearly
enough
> >> information to answer whether it's a good fit for your task at
hand.

> >> Cheers
> >> -Nate

Solr