That's pretty much what we did here.  I signed us up for an account with
a local ISP, and our testing Mac is for testing how stuff looks in Mac
vs. PC (since 15% of our audience is on Macs) as well as for dialing up
to the ISP to see how stuff works from outside our network.  (Knowing
whether things actually work at all over dialup is also useful -- the
percentage of our audience on dialup Internet connections keeps
shrinking, but it's still not zero.) The ISP is also our registrar for
domain names like sonomalibrary.org and for a while supplied our T1
lines.

Genny Engel
Sonoma County Library
707 545-0831 x581
www.sonomalibrary.org

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/17/08 10:15AM >>>
Hi Chris,

I'm not sure how your campus is set up, but our IT folks actually have
a separate account with a local ISP just for this purpose; they were
even nice enough to run a line into my office so I can plug in to test
off-campus resources.  Granted, if that doesn't already exists at your
campus, it may cost substantially more than $30/yr, but personally I
find it is a great way to test resources from "off-campus."

Cheers,
Adam Traub
Systems Librarian
St. John Fisher College