We have something like this running in a prototype form at
http://www.lib.umich.edu/virtual/

Rather than being a pure browse tool, it lets users view our collection by
category so that related items across 20 physical locations can be viewed as
if on one shelf.  Books that have been digitized and are searchable the
Google Book project (HathiTrust) include a search field.  It's built on an
API into our Aleph OPAC. This site is a proof of concept so still has some
bugs.

The categories are sort of interesting in themselves -- each is manually
managed, pulling together LC call numbers that fit into that subject.  The
mapping of call numbers and searches is available at
http://www.lib.umich.edu/browse/categories/

Ken

--
Ken Varnum