Hi, everyone --

Just wanted to update you on our progress in making a Code4Lib local
group in NYC.

First, the "NYC Code4Lib" group will meet tomorrow at 10 a.m., 57 E 11th
St., Manhattan, 4th Floor -- all are welcome!

(In the future, I *promise* to send out these reminders to the Code4Lib
list with a lot more advanced notice, and am chalking my oversight to
first-meeting jitters.  Many, many apologies for the late notice.)

In the past few weeks, we have:
* Added an announcement to www.code4lib.org.

* Emailed all of the METRO members who expressed interest in the group
via METRO's listserv (go to
http://list.metro.org/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=code4libnycsig-l to
subscribe) with details on Code4Lib itself and the new METRO group.  We
encouraged them to forward the email to others.

* Emailed a call for "lightning talks" for our first meeting, and
received a few great proposals.

* Established a presence on METRO's wiki:
http://metro.org/collaborate/index.php/Code4libNYC

* Established a presence on Code4Lib (http://nyc.code4lib.org/) -- many
thanks to everyone who got this going.

Finally, we sent out the following announcement to the METRO list:

"Just reminder that we are having our first meeting this Wednesday,
September 10th at the METRO offices at 57 East 11th Street in Manhattan
from 10:00 a.m. to noon. The first meeting will consist of an
introduction to the new SIG and a series of short, informal talks from
SIG members. Topics to be discussed include Drupal and the Archivists'
Toolkit. If you'd like a little more background on the SIG see our page
on the METRO wiki at http://metro.org/collaborate/index.php/Code4libNYC.
If you'd like more information on the national code4lib organization see
http://code4lib.org/."

So, if you are in the NYC metro area, please come by tomorrow!  We hope
to have a great meeting (free coffee included).

After the meeting, we will update the wiki; I also hope to provide an
evaluation on what has worked and not worked thus far to get the local
group off the ground.

Thank you,
Joanna

--