In regards to ownership and trademarks...

Typically, the client has full ownership of a logo to use however they wish.
Since Code4Lib technically can't own the logo, I would recommend having the
logo released under the
Attribution-NoDerivs<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/>CC
License. This will allow your community to use the logo however you
see
fit, while still maintaining the integrity of the "brand".

Also, you can claim trademark on the logo just by adding a "TM" to it and
using it in a manner consistent with trademark law. The "R-ball", as it is
referred to, can only legally be used if it is registered with the federal
government.

--
Stephanie Brinley
Adelie Design