Our group has done something simliar with the DDC rather than using call
numbers.  You can find information about the Dewey browser here:

<http://www.oclc.org/research/researchworks/ddc/browser.htm>

and the prototype browser can be access here:

<http://deweybrowser.oclc.org/ddcbrowser2/>

The prototype runs on the Linux platform under Apache HTTP or Tomcat and uses
Apache Solr to index and search the records.  According to the developer it
was fairly easy to put together using Apache Solr.  The difficult part was the
UI which has taken many iterations...

Andy.