I've done some work this.

" What I don't know is whether there are any indexing / SQL / query techniques that could be used to browse forward and backword in an index like this."

Depending on what you want to do exactly, yes.  Look at

Querying Ontologies in Relational Database Systems - ►hu-berlin.de [PDF]
S Trissl, U Leser - LECTURE NOTES IN COMPUTER SCIENCE, 2005 - Springer

If you need more you're looking at CS literature concerning treatment of graphs, directed graphs, cyclical, transitive closure, etc.

This can all be done without to much difficulty but as Nate pointed out updating the data is a problem...I've not tackled that part but there is much literature on dynamic graphs and I'm assuming this could also be adequately solved.

> a decent UI is probably going to be a bigger job

Yes, that's the real issue.  Could call numbers be placed within a hierarchy?  Then display this in an outline view (Windows Explorer) that is also item searchable?  Seems to me there is structure in the call numbers that is hidden in current UIs.  I also think the actual "Call number" should disappear and replaced by a textual label describing what the numbers mean.

Fun stuff to think about...

Charles-Antoine