To build on Nate's suggestion...

> Sorting a list of call numbers is pretty easy; doing it efficiently
> for large datasets is rather more tricky. I'm not totally sure, but
> the best course of action may be to transform the call numbers into
> something indexable (say, a string) that follows the same ordering
> rules as your call numbers.

If you're retrieving the data from your ILS and the ILS already has a normalized call number field, you would want to retrieve that in addition to your display call number.  That would allow for sorting by call number rather than by a database ID and would allow for easier updates of the data (i.e. you wouldn't have to re-generate the entire database ID index).  If your ILS doesn't have normalized call numbers, you might want to normalize them yourself as part of the data load process.

-- Michael

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington
# 817-272-5326 office