Why not just build a decent cover flow UI over the existing call number
browse in the catalog with Javascript?  Just grab the cover images and
display them using something like http://www.deensoft.com/lab/protoflow/
That way you could recreate the  'browsing' experience, not have to have
the user learn a new tool and not have to worry about how you're going
to implement browsing the call numbers (similar to what the Oakville
Public Library is doing on that page).

In the past I put together a quick demo of this (not for call numbers,
just for regular search listings) in an evening:
http://lib-bling.com/unr/unrdemo/unrcoverflowdemo.htm

That's a very rough demo but implementing something similar using
default call number browse in the catalog would probably be not much
more difficult and would provide roughly the experience it seems you're
looking for without having to worry about overly complex solutions.

--Will

Will Kurt
Applications Development Librarian
University of Nevada, Reno