At 08:34 PM 10/01/2008, Naomi wrote:
>. . .
>1.  The user is not broken. Our faculty are very vocal in desiring a
>"virtual shelf list" that will allow them to, given a specific item,
>look for "closely located" items.  Call numbers have facilitated co-
>location of (some) related physical materials, which facilitates
>a  browsing experience that users enjoy.  Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe
>it's something else ... but they enjoy it and find it useful. They are
>used to call numbers, and by god, they want call numbers.

Some do indeed.  I recently decided to stop producing the "by call
number" version of our recent acquisitions list and immediately heard
from three different faculty about how that's the only version they
care about because they can go immediately to "their" call number(s)
to see what's new.  Who woulda thunk it?

Bob Duncan

Robert E. Duncan
Systems Librarian
Editor of IT Communications