Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who responded last week about creating an
installation workflow. I've got that mostly sorted out, and am on to the
next stage.

I thought it would be a simple matter to TAR up my pile of files. But as
soon as I tried installing the package on a new server, I ran into
trouble: my library server is a 64-bit machine, and the second server is
32-bits. I normally consider that information to be unimportant to daily
life (read: I really don't know or usually care...). But to my surprise
that seems to mean that the tarball from one doesn't work on the other.

Is this a common problem? Is there a way around it? Are tarballs really
mutually unintelligible? I don't generally recall seeing two versions of
software being distributed. Is there a standard approach to dealing with
this? It's just a pile of text (php, sql, html) and image files --
there's no compiled code of any sort. I would have thought it was sort
of architecture-neutral. Except it seems that the packaging mechanism
itself is a problem.

I did check out the book Erik recommended: http://producingoss.com/ to
see what it has to say about this matter; all it says is "Use Tar!" with
no ambiguity about architecture. Is everyone in the world on 64-bit
architecture except this one test server that I have access to?

Any advice?

Thanks!
Ken

--