This is somewhat off-topic, since you asked for something you can use
on Linux. In any case...

I've been using OmniPage 16, and I'm sorry to say I can't recommend
it. You can't run it from the command line, so you can't really
integrate it into a script. It does have a batch manager, so you can
set it to do whole folders at a time. Just make sure your folder's not
too large; it crashes fairly reliably after about 10-40 pages.

If you do use OmniPage to make your PDFs, I've found that it works
best to convert a single TIFF into a single-page PDF, then use
pdftk[1] (along with a [language of your choice] script) to put those
PDFs together however you want them.

Have a nice day,
Jonathan

[1] http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/

--
Jonathan M. Brinley
Metadata & Digital Initiatives Developer

http://xplus3.net/