Hi All,

We collect marc records to go with the books we archive.

Our partners typically provide us with these records through
z39.50 servers.

One of our partners wants us to not retain some of the
fields of the records.

The best solution would be (i think) to fashion a z39.50
query so that the records we get already have the forbidden
elements excluded, so that we never even see the fields
they want to exclude.

Is it even possible, in principle, to do this?  (And if so,
does anybody have any example queries they could share?
E.g., something that we could test through yaz-client?)

If it's not possible, then we'll do it by code in post-processing.

But we don't want to write code if there already is a
free software tool to do it.  (Note that this would
have to be some kind of command line tool, or part
of some library that can be used in a non-gui context
on a gnu/linux [ubuntu] system.)

Thanks in advance for any pointers on either a
query or a filtering tool.

dan