I appreciate your attention to this stuff Roy, but I'm afraid that
doesn't really work either.

I think MOST libraries that use OCLC Worldcat for the bulk of their
cataloging do NOT in fact contribute "all" cataloging or holdings back
to worldcat.  Many libraries have particular items that for reasons of
institutional policy (which I admit I find byzantine) keep some holdings
out of Worldcat. And/or do not contribute some 'original cataloging' to
Worldcat, even if they contribute most---perhaps because some of their
'original cataloging' is not up to AACR2 and/or Worldcat standards, so
they can't/don't want to/are embaressed to share it.

I'm afraid those new terms may have just excluded my library!

I'm not really sure what OCLC is actually trying to accomplish with
these terms, what's the goal?  But I don't think you're doing it yet. I
hope my library isn't now excluded from Worldcat API use---or that I'd
need to get our cataloging unit to make fundamental changes in what they
do, that they are resistant to, in order to use it.

Jonathan

---
Jonathan Rochkind
Digital Services Software Engineer
The Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University
410.516.8886

>>> Roy Tennant <[log in to unmask]> 10/3/2008 10:33 PM >>>
On 10/2/08 10/2/08 € 2:39 PM, "Jenn Riley" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the link, Roy. I hadn't taken the time to look this far
into the
> Grid Services terms of use. One thing stuck out to me, though. What
does
> "Library members that do ***all*** their cataloging with an OCLC
subscription"
> mean? The "all" part is what doesn't make sense to me on first read.

Jenn,
Thanks for asking. We agreed that the wording is perhaps not the best,
so we
changed it to "Library members that contribute all current cataloging
and
holdings to WorldCat" which we think gets more at what we mean. That
is, the
important thing is that you contribute information about what you have
the common pool. Thanks for spurring us to make this change and we hope
that
clarifies our intent. Thanks,
Roy