Folks, two new documents have been published on the Dublin Core web
site, and I would very much like to get any comments you have on them.
Officially, comments must be sent to the dc-general list (details
below), but if there is discussion on these lists, I can summarize it there.

The first document is one I worked on -- painfully, I must say -- that
attempts to explain the DC concept of Application Profiles. These are
concepts we want to apply in the DC/RDA work, and my personal question
to you all is: DOES THIS MAKE SENSE? Can we use this in our metadata
environment? What's missing, what doesn't work, what needs clarification?

The next document addresses something I blogged recently:
   http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2008/10/semantics-of-semantic.html
which is some confusion caused by the use of the term "semantic web."
This document is related to the Application Profile document in that it
defines what we need so that different metadata sets can be
interoperable, another very important point for those of us working in
the library systems area. The document is from an engineering point of
view in its details, but the general concepts are quite common
sense-ible. Again, please let us know if there are areas that need
clarification.

Given that this is election day, may I suggest that a printout of one or
both of these documents will occupy you fully while you are in line
waiting to perform your patriotic (and moral) duty. VOTE! READ! EVOLVE!

Thank you,
kc

 _____

"Guidelines for Dublin Core Application Profiles" published as a Working
Draft

2008-11-03, The new DCMI Working Draft
< http://dublincore.org/documents/2008/11/03/profile-guidelines/ >
"Guidelines for Dublin Core Application Profiles" describes the
key components of an application profile and walks the reader
through the process of designing a profile. Addressed primarily
to a non-technical audience, the guidelines also provide a
technical appendix about modeling the metadata interoperably
for use in linked data environments. This draft will be revised
the public are invited to post comments by 1 December 2008 to the
< http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=dc-general >
DC-GENERAL mailing list, including "[Public Comment]"
in the subject line.

 _____

"Interoperability Levels for Dublin Core Metadata" published as a
Working Draft

2008-11-03, <
http://dublincore.org/documents/2008/11/03/interoperability-levels/ >
"Interoperability Levels for Dublin Core Metadata", published
today as a DCMI Working Draft, discusses the modeling choices involved
in designing metadata applications for different types of interoperability.
At Level 1, applications use data components with shared natural-language
definitions. At Level 2, data is based on the formal-semantic model of the
W3C Resource Description Framework. At Level 3, data is structured as
Description Sets (i.e., as records). At Level 4, data content is subject to
a shared set of constraints (as described in a Description Set Profile).
Conformance tests and examples are provided for each level. The Working
Draft represents work in progress for which the authors seek feedback.
Interested members of the public are invited to post comments by 1 December
2008 to the <
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=dc-architecture >
DC-ARCHITECTURE mailing list, including "[Public Comment]" in the subject
line.

Thank you!
kc

-