Hi Jonathan,

> PS: And indeed, mapping to OpenURL 1.0 is _exactly_ what I need to
> do. Sounds like I should look into L8X?

There is a demo/testing site at http://www.lemon8.org ; you might want
to try playing around there with some citations to get a feel for how
it works without having to download or install anything.

> It would be convenient if there were a way to choose which parsers
> to use with L8X, via an API or configuration if I install the
> software locally. I'm not sure I'll need to pass the citation to
> _all_ of them. I am going to be doing this in realtime while the
> user is waiting, so speed matters. But just ParsCit alone isn't
> doing the job, perhaps ParsCit+regex plus maybe one more would be
> good enough.

Absolutely -- setting a list of default parsers to use, and the
ability to turn them on/off on-the-fly (ie. while editing any
particular citation) is something that's been on the to-do list for a
while.  I'm hoping to have it done in the next week or two.

I should add that having just added ParsCit, I've actually found that
it doesn't do nearly as good a job as some of the other parsers, but
that may just be on the citation formats that I happen to work with.
Part of the way L8X is designed is to assign a simple statistical
score to estimate how accurately each parser performs; one feature
I've been planning is to simply allow a threshold to ignore results
from parsers which have done a poor job on that particular citation.

There is some additional functionality to take a parsed citation and
look it up in a number of online indexes, and attempt to fetch
"correct" information, both to supplement, say, an incomplete
citation, and provide an additional level of quality improvement, but
that's a somewhat more complex topic that I'm hoping to make the
subject of a submission to the Code4Lib journal.  :-)

MJ