mark friesner wrote:
> Call to all Librarians:
>
>     I am a Master of Architecture student at Ryerson University in Toronto
> writing my thesis on the future of the Library amidst the flood of today's
> (and tomorrow's) digital technologies.

Just a thought but perhaps a speculation on the  future of libraries,
especially in terms of the use of digital technologies, might consider
how you worded your salutation.

This list is called "Code for Libraries", not Code for (or by) Librarians.

Over the past several weeks I've taken notice of the many job opening
descriptions that have been posted here.  There have been many which
describe positions which are essentially looking for developers of
digital technologies but in many cases, the first requirement listed is
a MLS, or basically is looking for a librarian with programming skills
without consideration for a programmer (rarely do we see a degree in
Computer Science in lieu of a MS) with library experience.

As you might have guessed, I fall into the latter category.  I've have
been programming computers for over 25 years, working for a large
computer manufacturer with a two letter acronym for 13 years, a stint at
a well known entertainment industry company, and for the past 12 working
  for a library.  Although the domain has changed, it's my skills as
programmer/analyst/technology strategist that have led to my many
contributions to the flood of digital technologies.

Perhaps the future of libraries is a recognition of those that don't
have a MLS degree (or a degree at all, in my case) as valuable
contributors to the success of a library.