What is necessary, at least for some IT people in a library, is to have
a particular interest in libraries, and particular knowledge of
library's business and needs and directions.   You can have some just
straight IT people who happen to be working in a library, but I firmly
believe that you also need people who are "librarians" in the sense of
having special interest and knowledge in libraries.

Requiring an MLIS degree is perhaps one way of trying to select these
people. Of course, it's very imperfect, since you can easily be one of
these people without an MLIS degree, and in truth just getting a piece
of paper doesn't ensure you are one of these people either.

But really, the same could be said for almost any librarian job in a
library, not just IT jobs.  The quality of most MLIS programs is, in my
opinion, rather poor (even the best are generally only decent, not
great), and I don't place much credence on this MLIS degree as any kind
of an accurate gatekeeper of quality of applicants.

But I think it is important that some (if not all) IT people in a
library are not just IT people who happen to be working in a library,
but do have a special interest in libraries, and have developed special
expertise in libraries.  Which is not to say that experience in IT
outside of library land is not also helpful, whether in the same person,
or among the mix of a library IT department or community.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind
Digital Services Software Engineer