Hi,

The current issue of Ariadne (http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue57/) which
has just been published contains an article about the "SeeAlso"
linkserver protocol:

Jakob Voß: "SeeAlso: A Simple Linkserver Protocol", Ariadne Issue 57,
2008. http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue57/voss/

SeeAlso combines OpenSearch and unAPI to a simple API that delivers a
simple list of links. You can use it for dynamically embedding links to
recommendations, reviews, current availability, reviews, search
completion suggestions, etc. It's no rocket science but I found a well
defined API with reusable server and client better then having to hack a
special format and lookup syntax for each single purpose.

The reference client is written in JavaScript, see
http://ws.gbv.de/seealso/seealso.js and
http://ws.gbv.de/seealso/javascript-client/doc/ and the reference Server
is written in Perl, see http://search.cpan.org/dist/SeeAlso-Server/ -
but implementing it in any other language should not be complicated. I'd
be happy to get some feedback either in form of code, applications, or
criticism :-)

I noted that SeeAlso::Server is the only implementation of unAPI at CPAN
so far - if someone is interested, we could extract parts into an
independent unAPI package. The WWW::OpenSearch::Description package is
also worth to consider for use in SeeAlso::Server.

Greetings
Jakob

--
Jakob Voß <[log in to unmask]>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany