This seems obvious, but I'm surprised how infrequently it's actually used: I think the key to designing good advanced search screens is not to be tied literally to the underlying data structure. The boxes/options you show on an advanced search screen don't have to be a 1:1 correspondence with fields or elements in the data. Certainly you don't have to use actual field/element names as labels in the interface - show user-friendly ones. But more importantly you can group elements together. Have a defined use case for every field you put on that screen, and have it search one or more data elements that meet that need. It's perfectly OK to have a box on that screen search more than one field on the back end. In the case of MODS, that's been cited in one email in this thread, combining the different date elements within originInfo into a single index likely makes sense. You might also make them searchable individually, but only if the target users are likely to need that (very granular) distinction. You could also build a combined index on all names, or in addition provide indexes for names only recorded as having a certain role.

And don't be afraid to leave fields out either - only put fields on the advanced search screen that make sense, that have a reasonable (but imaginative!) reason for being there. Using MODS again, langugageOfCataloging would likely be something you'd leave out of all but the most exceptional advanced search screens. But there are probably many more borderline cases that deserve careful consideration. It's hard to find a good balance between throwing in the kitchen sink and meeting advanced users' needs.

One other piece of advice: use lists of defined values whenever possible, but be careful about only making some things (language for example) available as search limits rather than as searches in their own right - why not allow someone see every resource in a certain language? If they get more hits than they're comfortable with, they'll just use your (well-designed, of course) feature to revise their original search.

Jenn

Jenn Riley
Metadata Librarian
Digital Library Program