Thanks, sounds like i need to look into Lemon8.  If you did expose that as an API, it would be very useful.

For my purposes, vol/issue/page# are actually MORE important than author and title, and I find that ParsCit alone does very poorly with it. Interesting to see that even your software doesn't use ParsCit alone!

Jonathan

>>> MJ Suhonos <[log in to unmask]> 11/14/08 3:18 PM >>>
Hi all,

John, the supplemented approach you describe is how we go about it in
our Lemon8-XML (L8X) software (http://pkp.sfu.ca/lemon8); The way L8X
handles parsing is it passes the original unparsed string to a number
of different parsers in turn (Freecite, each of the 3 Paracite
parsers, and a home-grown regex parser), does a little cleaning and
normalization, and then hands the results to the user to select the
correct values for each element.

Most of the time, it actually does a pretty good job of detecting the
right elements -- in fact, numeric stuff like volume, issue, pages,
etc. tend to be more accurate than names and titles, mostly because of
the larger variance in the latter.  Our experience has been that
relying on a single approach (machine-learning vs. format-rule-based
vs. regular-expression) is less reliable than getting partial matches
from various approaches, and then assembling them.  In this case, the
whole is in fact greater than the sum of the parts.

I haven't added the ParsCit web service explicitly since a SOAP-based
interface is a bit more cumbersome in PHP than FreeCite's POST-type
interface, but I'll make a point of doing so now.  Incrementally
adding services that all map to the same citation elements (we use the
OpenURL 1.0 fields, with a few aberrations) means it's very easy to
increase the accuracy by simply adding another parsing plugin/service.

You'd have to pull out the relevant classes from L8X to get a
standalone parser, but since this is one of the more appealing aspects
of the software for many people, we're looking at making a simple API
in L8X to just do the citation parsing, possibly without the UI to
take it from semi-automated to completely automatic.

MJ