Although I don't always agree with him, Jacob Nielsen has advice on the
provision of 'Advanced Search' - essentially, most users cannot use it
effectively - http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20010513.html The only
problem with this is that the short report doesn't make it very clear
what 'advanced search' might consist of, and where users have a problem
(it mentions that most users don't do Boolean, but I'm not sure this is
what I'd regard as 'advanced search')

The longer (charged for) report might have more detailed advice - anyone
tried it?

Owen

Owen Stephens
Assistant Director: eStrategy and Information Resources
Central Library
Imperial College London
South Kensington Campus
London