> How about dispensing altogether with the
> basic/advanced dichotomy in a search interface?

I'm not sure I can dispense with it completely, Peter.

As Peter Morville said on the site Susan posted: "[I]t may be worth offering advanced features that are useful to a small yet important subset of users."  I'll give you three guesses as to who my "small yet important subset of users" are, and the first two don't count. ;-)

--Dave
David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University