If you are looking for something to view trees using alternate
visualization techniques rather than the standard outline-ish
folder/document visualization, you might want to take a look at:

<http://blog.thejit.org/javascript-information-visualization-toolkit-jit/>

From the home page:

JavaScript Information Visualization Toolkit (JIT)

What’s the JIT?

The JIT is an advanced JavaScript infovis toolkit based on 5 papers about
different information visualization techniques.  The JIT implements advanced
features of information visualization like Treemaps (with the slice and dice
and squarified methods), an adapted visualization of trees based on the
Spacetree, a focus+context technique to plot Hyperbolic Trees, and a radial
layout of trees with advanced animations (RGraph).

I have been meaning to download this toolkit to visualize hierarchies in
controlled vocabularies, but the task in down on my priority list at the
moment :(

Andy.