Ed Summers wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Godmar Back <[log in to unmask]> wrote: would it.
>
>> BTW, I don't see why screen readers would stumble over this when the
>> child of the <span> is empty. Do they try to read empty text?  And if
>> a COinS is processed, we fix up the title so tooltips show nicely.
>>

> Yeah, if the <span> is empty I think you're

 From what I've been reading it sounds like <abbr> with title is more of
a problem than <span> with title.  So maybe <span> with title isn't too
much of a problem in practice?  I suspect that whether the span is empty
doesn't make a difference *if* the screen-reader is set up to read the
title attribute of a span.  But having the software set that way seems
unlikely(?)

Do we know anyone who might have real experience with this?  So far my
thought is to support microformats that use an empty <span> but not
those using the <abbr> style.

Thanks,
  - mang