Hi folks,

I'm passing this on for Dianne McCutcheon at the National Library of
Medicine. They're looking for technical folks to help dig into testing
RDA to determine whether it'll really enable library metadata to be used
across systems more effectively, and better support discovery.

I hope there are some folks who'd be interested in participating!

-emily lynema

The Library of Congress, the National Agricultural Library and the
National Library of Medicine have jointly decided to test Resource
Description and Access (RDA), the proposed new cataloging code, before
making a decision on whether or not to implement this new standard.  See
the joint statement and accompanying letter from Deanna Marcum,
Associate Librarian for Library Services, Library of Congress for more
details:   http://www.nlm.nih.gov/tsd/cataloging/RDA_Letter_050108.pdf

We plan to include members of the U.S. library community as well as ILS
vendors and OCLC, in the testing. We are also interested in including
developers from the code4lib and NGC4Lib communities who could help
evaluate the assertion that RDA will allow the data produced to function
within a wide range of technological environments and better support
resource discovery.

The test period will begin after RDA is released, currently targeted for
July 2009.  We are in the process of developing the methodology for
testing and would welcome input from testing partners.
If you are interested in participating, or have a suggestion of someone
we should contact, please e-mail one of the national library contacts:
Dianne McCutcheon (NLM) [log in to unmask], Christopher Cole (NAL)
[log in to unmask] or Beacher Wiggins (LC) [log in to unmask]

Regards,
Dianne McCutcheon
Chief, Technical Services Division
National Library of Medicine