Google's Protocol Buffers [1] seem like they may be another possible
alternative here.  The content-type in that case would be
application/x-protobuf.

The advantage here would be that the consumer wouldn't have to be
written in PHP and there's no need to know the structure of your JSON
object.

I realize that this doesn't answer your question, but that's mainly
because I don't know the answer to that question and am interested in
seeing somebody try protocol buffers.

-Ross.
[1] http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/docs/overview.html