Ed Summers wrote:
> I guess the main thing I wanted to
> communicate is that you could simply add:
>
>   <link rel="alternate" type="application/json"
> href="http://openlibrary.org/api/get?key=/b/{open-library-id}" />
>
> to the <head> element in OpenLibrary HTML pages for books, and that
> would go a long way to making machine readable data for books
> discoverable by web clients.

Ed, the first thing that comes to my mind when I see this is: button.
Unless folks will be blindly crawling the OL* I don't know how they'll
get to a particular page to execute this code, except by being a person
searching and getting the web page. (If they are using the search API
they get back a list of IDs from which they'd create one or more 'get'
commands like this one.) A download button on the page would make sense,
but mainly if it downloaded into a usable format (EndNote, MARC). All
this to say that I don't get what the use case is for this particular
bit of code -- but I'm assuming you had one in mind. Please do tell!

* If anyone wants the whole OL database, json dumps are available:
http://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/jsondump

--
[log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net