Having a per-page link to get an alternate representation of a
resource is certainly helpful for some applications, and please do
support it, but don't consider the problem solved.

The primary weakness of this approach is that it works only if a page
is dedicated to a single resource.

COinS are still needed, in particular in situations in which multiple
resources are displayed on a page (like, for instance, in the search
results pages of most online systems or on pages such as
http://citeulike.org, or in a list of references such as in the
"references" section of many Wikipedia pages.)

 - Godmar