> 2) an XML library that doesn't choke on foreign characters. (I assume
> you're using ElementTree now?)

I meant foreign markup, as in foreign to the atom: name space.

Let me give an example. Suppose I want to serve results the way Google
does in YouTube; suppose I want to return XML similar to this one:

http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos?vq=triumph+street+triple&racy=include&orderby=viewCount

It contains lots of foreign XML (opensearch, etc.) and it contains
lots of boilerplate (title, link, id, updated, category, etc. etc.)
that must be gotten right to be Atom-compliant. I don't want to
implement any of this.

I'd like to write the minimum amount of code that can turn information
I have in flat files into Atom documents, without having to worry
about the well-formedness or even construction of an Atom feed, or its
internal consistency.
(Perhaps similar to Pilgrim's feedparser, except that this library a)
doesn't handle all of Atom, b) doesn't support foreign XML - in fact,
doesn't even use an XML library), and is generally not intended for
the creation of feeds.

Given the adoption RFC 5023 has seen by major companies, I'm really
surprised at the lack of any supporting server libraries; perhaps not
surprisingly, the same is not true for client libraries.

 - Godmar