What I've been meaning to investigate more fully is the "Citation Style
Language" (CSL) which is used by Zotero for citation outputting--there
are some other non-Zotero engines for CSL, but I'm not sure how
mature/ready for production any of them are. The Zotero engine is of
course in Javascript, so inconvenient (although not impossible) to
re-use that code a server side app.

I haven't really investigated what's going on with CSL, but that seems
to be the 'right' way to deal with this to me. Once you have a CSL
engine incorporated in your app, you can output not just in Chicago or
MLA, but any citation style now or in the future that Zotero (or anyone
else) provides a CSL file for. Thanks to Zotero (and it's partners?) for
developing this re-useable CSL format instead of just a custom Zotero
solution.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind