Randy Stern wrote:
> Abbyy Finereader and Nuance Omnipage are the two leading commercial
> OCR products. Both can achieve 98% + character accuracy on most
> book-like material scanned at 300 dpi.
>
> At 07:37 AM 2/3/2009 -0500, Nicole Engard wrote:
>> I'm with Christian - I loved Abbyy FineReader when I used it at both
>> my previous libraries.  It's very accurate and it's affordable if
>> you're not using it for mass digitization :) but we never got the
>> server contract because like Christian said - it is quite expensive.
Abbyy's engine is actually quite affordable for mass digitization
efforts as well.  Indeed, if you look closely at the outputs from the
Internet Archive you'll see they use it extensively.  The desktop model
requires bodies to handle the inputs and outputs; the server version can
be built into a workflow.  Once you get past the time to set it up, the
cost per page is *very* low ( from memory ~1 to 2 cents per page).

Walter Lewis