Didn't we finish having this conversation last week? We talked about all
this stuff being brought up now last week.

Andrew, for why marc+xml is appropriate, see RFC 3023.

I am completely confident that application/marc+xml would be the right
type to register for (eg) MARC XML , and that until it is registered
application/x-marc+xml is appropriate.   (I think it would actually be
useful if LC published some guidance suggesting using
application/x-marc+xml and application/x-mods+xml etc, until they are
registered officially, which really ought to be done soon).

There is no formal tie between application/marc and (hypothetically
registered) application/marc+xml, they are completely seperate
registrations--registering an application/marc+xml  actually has nothing
to do with the application/marc registration. See RFC 3023.
We _could_ call a MARC-xml registration "application/lcmarc+xml" or
something, it would just be confusing.  Of course there are more than
one hypothetical way to serialize MARC as XML -- that's why you do an
IANA registration, to specify which one you mean. (And if you needed to
register a second one, you could use application/marc-other+xml or
something).  Of course, in reality, there's only one XML serialization
of MARC anyone uses.

"+xml" has nothing to do with "allowing namespace extensions", except in
the sense that all theoretically does XML does. +xml is a hint that the
content type registered is a particular XML application. If that
application's schema or spec does not allow inclusion of arbitrary
namespaced XML, that's got nothing to do with an +xml content type.
Again, see RFC 3023.

application/xml or text/xml would also be legal, although not nearly as
useful.  text/xml should only be used if you want user agents who don't
'know' xml to degrade to displaying the source (xml tags at all)
essentially as text/plain.  Which is a question that doesn't really come
up much realistically, but all contemporary RFCs on XML and internet
content types advise against using text/xml except in vary specific
circumstances--although it IS legal.  application/xml is also of course
legal, but not nearly as useful as a specific registered type like
application/marc+xml.  Any modern user agent knows to degrade
"application/*+xml" to being treated like "application/xml", if the user
agent doesn't know the specific type.

Jonathan