> I always thought it would be interesting to distribute
> indexes of the DOAJ content more widely.

Fwiw:

The NSDL currently harvests metadata, crawls content, and indexes both for nine of the
seventeen DOAJ subjects.  We gather science, math, engineering, and technology related
DOAJ subjects:

Subject            (item counts)
---------------------------------
Technology and Engineering (15,248)
Physics and Astronomy (5,712)
Mathematics and Statistics (10,726)
Health Sciences (88,726)
Earth and Environmental Science (12,227)
Social Sciences (27,952)
Chemistry (12,089)
Biology and Life Sciences (45,987)
Agriculture and Food Sciences (21,923)

The NSDL search service is described here:

  http://ncore.nsdl.org/index.php?menu=services&submenu=services!search

The search UI and API are documented here:

  http://wiki.nsdl.org/index.php/Community:Search

The above are maintained as separate collections, and the API allows for filtering by one
or more collection.

All NSDL metadata content is available via OAI-PMH here:
  http://ndr.nsdl.org/oai

-Tim

Timothy Cornwell, Programmer/Analyst
National Science Digital Library (http://nsdl.org)