His point, though, is that you can't tell the format being used until
you open the document and try to negotiate it that way.

So if you think in terms of content-negotiation and a particular
resource is available in EAD, MARC XML and Dubin Core, you have no way
of expressing that.

Jonathan, this has come up before.  Ed Summers and I kicked around the
idea of registering these but never got anywhere (mainly because
neither one of us was really interested in writing the RFCs).  Clay
Redding might be doing something, as I recall...

-Ross.