You CAN use application/xml for any XML, but it's often useful to have a
specific type for your specific content, so the user-agent can know what
to do with it.  The convention is to include "+xml" on the end, so if
the user agent doens't know your specific format, it can fall back to
treating it as generic XML.

For instance:

application/rss+xml
application/atom+xml
application/rdf+xml

And dozens more you can see at:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/   (search for
"+xml").

Thanks to Mark and Ross Singer for pointing out application/marc already
exists. (and is on that list above).  Awesome.

I'm still feeling the need for application/marc+xml, and
application/mods+xml

Jonathan