That would make sense if you want to actually change the HTTP/web
standards and establish new conventions. :)

Me, I don't need to fix the internet right now.  The application/foo+xml
convention is pretty well established, and even specified in
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt  (thanks anarchivist!).

It will work good enough for many purposes, as it does for
application/rss+xml etc.  But yeah, this +xml convention it's not as
flexible as you might like, it can't handle everything in the web/xml
world, but fixing that means changing/fixing/establishing new
standards/conventions, and, for the moment, that's 'out of my pay
grade', just getting application/mods+xml and application/marc+xml
registered would be good enough, and in keeping with that RFC and
currently accepted conventions.

Jonathan