I thought that a type had been defined - thanks, Mark.

Looking at it, it's from 1997 and represents the LC MARC standard at
that time (it says: "harmonized USMARC/CANMARC specification", whatever
that is.)

This brings up the usual question of what we mean by MARC -- the
structure or the content -- and the fact that we don't have any
versioning in place for the many changes that the MARC content has gone
through. If nothing else, using this for MARC 'binary' would get you
started. But it doesn't give you something you could use for other MARC
binaries, like Unimarc.

BTW, it also doesn't distinguish between bibliographic, authority, etc.
MARC record types, since that info is in the Leader. That's what it says.

kc

--
[log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net