This is great !!! But don't forget the API !

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Bucknell, Terry
Sent: woensdag 11 februari 2009 23:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] ticTOCs makes its data available to developers

As you may know, ticTOCs is a project funded by JISC in the UK to create
a single, freely available source of RSS feeds for tables of contents -
see http://www.tictocs.ac.uk/ . Our database now contains over 12,000
journals from over 430 publishers. Up until now the only way to get
feeds out of ticTOCs has been to use our web interface to search for
feeds and then export them as an OPML file, or one at a time to a feed
reader of your choice.

We are working on creating APIs to let groups like the code4lib
community extract our data in more flexible ways, but it has been
pointed out to us - see
http://robotlibrarian.billdueber.com/tictocs-give-us-a-file-pretty-prett
y-pretty-please/ - that all you really need (at least at first) is a
simple tab-delimited file that contains titles, ISSNs, and feed URIs for
all of the journals in tocTOCs. We now provide precisely this at
http://www.tictocs.ac.uk/text.php.

We hope that you will use this data to populate your catalog, A-Z
journals list or whatever with RSS feed icons/links, or embedded TOCs.
We look forward to the day when SFX, SerialsSolutions and the like are
all using our data!

Although the project phase of ticTOCs is very nearly at end end, we are
confident that we are very close to ensuring that the future of ticTOCs
is assured for at least the next three years, and will continue to be
free.

Share and enjoy.

Terry Bucknell
Electronic Resources Manager