According to RFC 3023, section 3 XML Media Types:

   If an XML document -- that is, the unprocessed, source XML document
   -- is readable by casual users, text/xml is preferable to
   application/xml.  MIME user agents (and web user agents) that do not
   have explicit support for text/xml will treat it as text/plain, for
   example, by displaying the XML MIME entity as plain text.
   Application/xml is preferable when the XML MIME entity is unreadable
   by casual users.

So it is justified to return a Content-Type header with text/xml.  It
depends upon whether you think MARC-XML, MODS, MADS, etc. are readable
by casual users and the user agents you expect to be accessing the
documents.

> Hence, a more correct MIME type for XMLMARC would be
> application/marc+xml, although until registered should be
> application/x-marc+xml.

I'm not sure the +xml is correct on two fronts.  First RFC 2220 defines
the media type for MARC binary, not MARC-XML, and it was my understanding
that the +xml meant that the schema allowed extension by using XML
namespaces which MARC binary does not.  Further, in the case of MARC-XML,
its schema also does not allow arbitrary XML elements.  MODS and MADS I
believe do, but that is a different story.

Andy.