Hello!

I just created a new social network for our DLF Spring Forum,
May 4-6, in Raleigh NC.  I would like to encourage folks to join in
order to help shape the themes for the coming meeting, and to
help organize the Forum and how we can structure it to benefit
everyone participating, both locally and afar.

I've identified our two keynotes, and I would welcome
thoughts on how to integrate them into the rest of the
conference.

As always, we're open to new ideas, suggestions, etc., and there
are a wide variety of pressing avenues for discussion this Spring.

Please join up and get engaged!  I've posted a brief message on
the keynotes, which I'll reproduce below.

Thanks! and join the Crowdvine network!

http://dlf2009.crowdvine.com/

 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I am working on two keynote themes for the DLF Forum this
Spring in Raleigh.

1) Cloud services.

I am organizing a keynote by a scientist presently employed
by Amazon AWS who will talk about digital library services and
cloud services for storage and computation. The speaker is
Deepak Singh (aka "mndoci" in twitter and elsewhere), and
he has a scientist's frame of reference, not a product
marketer's.

For the Forum, I am interested in panels and discussions on
network-scale applications, and analyses of their costs and
implementation challenges, both technical and policy related.
I am also interested in comparisons between "community-made"
infrastructures (e.g., HathiTrust's) and commercial apps like
Amazon's AWS and Google's App Engine.  (Obviously, these
are not like each other).

2) Organizational infrastructures for sustaining innovation.

This is more challenging, because more elusive.  This thread
attempts to discuss how libraries and allied organizations
might create new organizations that support sustainable
community-wide initiatives that are innovative and tackle new
problems. The keynote speaker is Diana Rhoten, recently at
NSF's Office of CyberInfrastructure, and now back as the
Director of Research for New Media at the Social Science
Research Council.

Diana and I have had conversations informed by similar
academic backgrounds in organizational sociology, and our
joint interest in a specific organization that has
successfully sustained collaboration in the ecological
sciences, NCEAS. She is presently working on a new MacArthur
Foundation-funded project relating to new media.

I would be interested in presentations from efforts in our
spaces (calling out things like Hathi, DuraSpace, etc.) and
analyses from existing groups like OCLC focusing on how they
are working to architect next generation services.

This topic is particularly deep, and fundamental to our own
continued relevance. I am open to diverse explorations in
policy, technical opportunities, cultural barriers, resource
challenges, and so forth.

Thanks!