On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 7:22 AM, phil cryer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hey all, I just started experimenting with CouchDB the other day, and
> it's pretty cool.  With the amount of data the Botanical Heritage
> Library (BHL) is carrying, this may be an option for the future.  Does
> anyone have any experience with it, or any pointers to a good howto,
> or basic setup/usage case?  I appreciate that it's a different
> approach to an age old problem, and I can see it working hand in hand
> with things like hadoop (hdfs), lucene/solr, etc.

For full-text search, some experimental work has been done.

There's hypercouch which brings Hyper Estraier and CouchDB together:

http://github.com/davisp/hypercouch/tree/master

There's also couchdb-lucene which uses Lucene for full text search:

http://github.com/rnewson/couchdb-lucene/tree/master

People are still exploring this uncharted land (so to speak).  Querying is
accomplished by hooking up an "external" service to CouchDB.

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/ExternalProcesses

This is basically a process that stays resident, reads requests on STDIN and
sends responses on STDOUT as the wiki page I linked to above describes.

As for indexing, I think the smart way to do it is to follow
couchdb-lucene's example and setup an update_notification script.

--beppu