Yeah, I thought of the URI encoding issue, that's easy enough to deal
with, makes sense.

I have no idea how to tell if SuDocs are case sensitive or not. But they
ARE all assigned by the GPO, and look-up-able in the GPO catalog.  Yeah,
they have to be URL encoded, certainly, but can't we just say "must be a
valid SuDoc class (including book number) assigned by the GPO, but [url
encode it]."  This can't be the only use case for essentially arbitrary
strings assigned by a third party controlling authority, that you want
to make into an info: uri, right?

But maybe I'll try doing the best I can, with or without GPO assistance
(Ed Summers said he thought he might know somebody at GPO interested in
identifiers), and maybe run it by you?

If this ends up being a huge time sink -- I'm probably going to give up,
and just use my own illegal info:sudoc identifiers that aren't really
registered at all, which would be bad, but I need a sudoc URI and don't
have a huge amount of time to sink into doing it 'right'.

Believe me, I have already spent quite a bit of time with that document
you reference. It was written for an earlier era, clearly.

Jonathan